Monday, December 21, 2009

Tales of Monkey Island Game Review

NOTE:Due to the fact this is an episodic game, I will be dividing my review up into five sub reviews; one for each chapter and an overall grade.

Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
4/5 stars
The sheer excitement of a new Monkey Island, the introduction of new characters, and the beginning of a new plot. This game blew my mind. After waiting for what seemed like ages for a new Monkey Island, TellTale Games delivers. A brand new plot with tons of new characters to love! Reginald van Winslow, the humorous captain (or ex-captain)of the Screaming Narwhal is introduced to fans with his map. Winslow shot right up to fans favorite characters with Murray and Wally. The Pyrite Parrot also makes his (annoying) debut and becomes the parrot of the extremes, you can either adore or despise it. And no longer is LeChuck the only bad guy. Introducing, the Marquis de Singe. I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It was an epic adventure that took Monkey Island back to its Secret roots. Being brand new to TellTale, I was worried what they were going to do with it, but my god, look at what they did! This game is one that surely won't disappoint! The humor! The drama! The pure joy! This game is a must!

Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay
3/5 stars
A bit of a disappointment... After the release of Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, I couldn't wait to see what TellTale was cooking up next. What I got was chocolate cake with a mushy center. The idea was there, the people were there, all that was missing was more time. This game seemed to stray from the plot, left us with an empty feeling. This game wasn't all bad though, hell it wasn't even close to bad! We met new characters once again, such as the lovely and skilled pirate hunter and Guybrush Threepwood fanatic, Morgan LeFlay, and the possibly uni-sexual merfolk. I found chapter two a bit of a let down, but the cliff-hanger ending left me waiting for chapter three.

Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan
4/5 stars
Tales of Monkey Island is back! What do you get when you mix Guybrush Threepwood, Reginald van Winslow, Morgan LeFlay, a manatee, and throw in an evil skull and mental explorer and crew? One hell of a game! This game was amazing! We see the characters in a new light, get new puzzles, meet even more people (deCava and his crew), all in a manatee! One of my favorite parts of the Monkey Island game is that they're not just a bunch of jokes, nor are they a super serious game, no, they are the perfect balance of game and bubbly pirate humor.

Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
4.5/5 stars
This game just keeps getting better and better! At last, the revival of the game we most longed to hate to see; Stan (Attorney at Law!) Some how, with the magic of technology and wisdom, TellTale managed to keep Stan's motionless coat pattern, motionless! This chapter is amazing, with more drama and humor than you can shake a dead cat at. Though trapped by the legal system, Guybrush Threepwood still manages to wit his way out, in a enormously funny, cunning, and even more shocking, realistic way. I can't praise this game enough. It shot it's way into a cozy spot of one of my favorite games. I thought nothing could make Tales of Monkey Island better, until...

Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God
5/5 stars
Oh... My... Pirate... God... If I died right now, I would consider my life complete. When I arrive at the Crossroads, you would find me clinging to a Shred of Monkey Island. This chapter never ceased to be amazing. I must admit, I tried to take forever on this chapter, because I didn't want it it end. We learn that Monkey Island is just as awesome alive or dead. TellTale Games carried this game so far. I am amazed by their work. Rise of the Pirate God was an outstanding ending for a wicked good ride. TellTale have outdone themselves with this game. It was one hell of a journey, TellTale. Sign me up for the next Tales!

Overall Grade
Playability- 9.5/10 stars
Fun- 10/10 stars
Repeatability- 7.5/10 stars
Memorability- 10/10 stars
----------------------------
Overall- 9.25/10 stars (Amazing!)

Buy it here!

Game by TellTale Games. Full season for $34.95. Individual episodes for $8.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment