Saturday, February 13, 2010

Interview With a Vampire Vince Desi


I've decided for my next post I wanted to bring something new to GGG. What better than to have an Interview with someone who has had a positive effect on the gaming industry as we know it. May I Introduce Vince Desi, founder and CEO of Running With Scissors, and he created one of the funnest games of all time. Yes that's right.
POSTAL

Now if any of you are to young to remember Postal, I suggest you pay a visit to www.RunningWithScissors.com and pick up a copy of the original and it's sequel Postal 2. I personally have fallen in love with the series, through my own issues and it has helped me through a lot of troubles I deal with, No more on that. Here I present you with a Interview with one of the most innovative game developers around Vince Desi; Creator of Postal.

IcedHope: Before running with scissors, you were head of Ridel Soft Ware Production, the company that made one of my favorite games, Spy vs Spy, and various Sesame Street titles. When did you decide to start making more mature-themed video games?
Vince Desi: By the mid nineties we were in Tucson, AZ and exhausted from all the kid games, so we decided to make our own fantasy game, and POSTAL was born
IcedHope:When Postal made it's debut in '97, there were a lot of big wigs in Washington, especially Senator Lieberman pushing for this game to be banned because of its violent content. Did you know then that you had created one of the most popular franchises in computer gaming history?
Vince Desi: When I got a call from someone identifying themselves as a Special Agent of the Justice Dept, aka FBI, I knew we hit a nerve, but still never thought it would become the media firestorm that followed.
Icedhope: What were some of the thoughts when creating the first Postal game?
Vince Desi: Just FUN, make a game that played fast, shot everything, without regret J and I love fire since I was a kid, so in many ways a lot of the themes and content reflect the members of RWS.
Icedhope:Have any of these thoughts continued to the sequel and soon to be released Postal III?
Vince Desi: Naturally they do, mainly because our inspiration comes from our personal lives, so as we get older, evolve, so do our ideas and they find their way into POSTAL during development.
I have also noticed from early screen shots that Postal III will be in the third person, or will it be a mixture of both third and first person perspectives?
Third Person. We experimented with a lot of new techniques, and concluded that for the best gameplay its what made sense.
Icedhope: One final question. Postal III will this game be distribuited through just the PC or All gaming consoles?
Vince Desi: PC and 360 for sure. I’d love to do Wii and PS3 but we’ll have to see how that goes.


Thank you Vince for chatting.


Now remember kiddies, if you want all the information, and want to purchase the games, remember to check out wwww.RunningWithScissors.com for everything Postal.

Games, Gold, and Glory is not affiliated with Running With Scissors.

8 comments:

  1. when will postal III be out and available to buy. Let me know. pt_heron@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do not swear in the comments of our site. If we had a release date, we would have shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swearing is bad. Don't do it here. It could offend some of our readers. And we love our readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny - telling somebody off for swearing in an article promoting Postal! Seriously, do you not see the irony?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I can't wait. I hope they release it soon, I've loved Postal since the first one, and I keep on lovin' them :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swearing is bad? Have you even played postal? I have a feeling it might make your head explode if swearing is something that bothers you.

    How do you have an interview with him and not even ask that much about postal 3 (besides asking if it will be FPS, even though that has been answered several times already)
    Seriously did you think maybe you could ask about the job system or maybe ask if it will be a free roaming game like postal 2 or more linear with alternate paths. How did you even get an interview with this guy if you don't know how to interview somebody?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're just testing our feet with the interviews. Not sure what questions to ask. I'll tell you with whom and when my interviews will be with (unless it's a surprise) and let you guys contribute to the experience.

    Swearing doesn't directly bother me, but I don't want anyone to get offended.

    (This is Tom. Too busy to sign in right now.)

    ReplyDelete